Mold in your home is no laughing matter. Even in Phoenix, where the dry air makes mold less widespread than in other, more humid climates, indoor mold can quickly become a problem. According to the Arizona Department of Health Services, mold poses a threat to both your health and to the structure of your home, making rapid remediation essential.
But how do you choose the right company to handle your residential mold removal project? A quick Google search will give you seemingly endless results, but it can be challenging to find the contractor will offer you the best service at a reasonable rate.
This article will help you understand all of the factors to consider when choosing a professional mold removal contractor. Residential mold removal does not have to cost a fortune, and with the right contractor, you can put your worries about mold to rest for good.
Why Professional Mold Removal Is Important
Mold is a common allergen that can cause many respiratory symptoms in sensitive individuals. The Mayo Clinic notes several signs of mold allergies, including:
- Watering eyes
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Dry skin
- Postnasal drip
These symptoms are often more severe in individuals who have other conditions, including asthma and COPD, which makes professional mold removal especially important in their homes.
However, getting rid of mold is not as easy as you might think. While you can try to clear it up yourself, you will probably only be able to clear away surface mold, leaving spores that could quickly blossom back into a full infestation. In addition, you may unintentionally spread mold spores throughout your home, making the problem significantly worse.
Professional mold removal specialists are licensed technicians who have the training and experience to safely remediate mold. Many companies specialize in residential mold removal, making your home safe for you and your family. These contractors have tools and techniques to clear up your mold problems while containing spores so that they don’t keep spreading.
What to Look for in a Professional Mold Removal Specialist
When trying to find the best mold remediation professionals, there are several things you should keep in mind in order to ensure you get the service you need.
Here are the most important considerations when it comes to choosing a mold removal contractor.
- Qualifications: While contractors are required to be licensed to remove mold, it is worth making sure your contractor can provide proof that they have a license. The company you select should also be bonded and insured, just in case something goes wrong with the project.
- It is also a good time to discuss their experience, including training. Even if the company is relatively new, make sure that they have technicians on staff who have prior experience in residential mold removal.
- Process: Any reputable professional mold removal service will be able to describe their mold removal process to you. This should include the kinds of cleaners they use, the personal protective equipment (PPE) the technicians will wear, and any containment measures they will take to ensure that mold spores do not spread throughout your home.
- It is imperative to ensure that the mold removal contractors take mold health risks seriously. Otherwise, you may not be able to trust that they are doing their job thoroughly or with the amount of care the process needs.
- Testing: Mold testing is an integral part of confirming your residential mold removal project is done correctly. Your contractor should perform initial air testing to determine the scope of the problem, then test once again after the mold remediation process to ensure that they have cleared the mold completely.
- Documentation: Your contractor needs to document the mold removal process. This provides evidence of their work, e.g., notes about what materials were removed, including porous surfaces such as carpeting and drywall. You should also receive any guarantees of their work in writing, in case they need to come back to address a missed problem.
- Reviews: While many companies post reviews on their websites, you should look at other sites as well, including Yelp and Google. These reviews can give you a better idea of how the contractor worked with other customers, and especially how they dealt with complaints.
Many companies will also provide you references so that you can contact former customers about their experiences.
Other Services: Especially in Phoenix, mold is usually related to other factors, such as:
- Leaking pipes and fixtures
- Leaks from the roof
- Water damage associated with flooding or fire suppression
- Poor ventilation leading to excess indoor humidity
Look for a professional mold removal company that also provides services like water damage restoration. Professionals will help to ensure that you deal with your mold problem once and for all.
Are you ready to start your mold restoration project? Request rapid response service from R2 Fire & Water, and we will get started right away.